In the spirit of Miss America tonight I thought I would share with you my TOP 10 Beauty Tips and Tricks I have learned as being a pageant girl myself! Have you ever wondered how pageant girls get their hair so volumized or how they always look flawless under those burning bright lights? Well lucky for you I am going to give you some insight about the pageant girl magic!
As we all know there are a million products for hair care, facial care, nail care and the list goes on. So the question is what really are the best products and brands to use. Now I could tell you that there is just one brand of makeup that is the best for foundation that gives a flawless look or the best face wash for clear skin but because every ones skin and hair is different that is not the case. However, after trying so many brands myself year after year I can tell you that I have learned some tricks along the way and have found some products that work for many skin and hair types.
- AMAZING EYELASHES: If you are like me putting on fake eyelashes is a chore and even though I want long thick eyelashes putting on lashes everyday is just unrealistic! Also, putting on false lashes everyday can actually do damage to your lashes so go ahead and throw out those lashes and glue because I have something way better! You can get the same look as false eyelashes with just two mascaras!
- TRICK: First curl your eyelashes then put on a lengthening mascara (you can layer it twice if you would like) and then put a thickening mascara on top (you can also layer this twice if you would like) and waaalaaa you have super thick and long lashes without ever putting on fake lashes that takes half the time! My favorite lengthening mascara is Benefit ” they’re Real” and Dior “Show” which is currently my favorite thickening mascara! (they just came out with a new Dior which is even blacker then the normal black)
- FLAWLESS LOOK: Ever wondered how some women’s makeup looks great all day especially those pageant girls who are on a stage for hours under bright hot lights. Or have you ever given someone a huge and realized you just left a makeup stain on their shirt! Well, the key is in the application before and after putting on your makeup.
- TRICK: It is really important to put on a primer (this allows for the makeup to go on flawless and some primers even help to reduce the look of large pores) and then to put on a setting spray (this sets the makeup so it stays all day and does not start to slip off your face or get onto anyone else’s clothes!). My favorite primer is by Laura Mercier (it even smells good) and my favorite setting spray is by MAC.
- FACE REGIME: So you wonder how so many beauty queens have great skin? Well it doesn’t come just by putting makeup on to cover up any blemishes it really starts with how you treat your skin daily. And you can try a million different face wash products and toners and moisturizers but the true key is to wash your face every night before you go to bed. The worst thing you can do is go to bed with your makeup on this can also increase the wrinkles you will get underneath your eyes.
- TRICK: So ladies if there is one thing you do everyday let it be that you WASH YOUR FACE NIGHTLY! And while you think washing your face with a wash cloth or your hands is doing the job let me tell you it is not! I can not tell you how much using a Clarsonic day/night will make such a difference. Yes this product may be a little pricey but trust me it is really worth it (make sure your replace the brush head every 2 months and wash it out after each use). My favorite products right now are Philosophy’s “Just Release Me” makeup remover, Bobbi Brown’s Extra Bright Face Wash, Hydrating Toner and Vitamin Enriched moisturizer (if you are like me and want to keep things simple you can use the moisturizer day and night). Also, it is really important to use a eye cream (not only does this help for makeup to go on better but it helps reduce the existence of wrinkles and help them not form). A few other good face wash brands are Kate Somerville and Philosophy.
- CLEAN BRUSHES: Another important trick to keeping your face looking great everyday is washing your brushes weekly. My favorite product is the MAC brush cleaner. I let all my brushes soak in a cup of this wash for about 30 minutes and then rinse them out. Also, if you are like me and are always on the go a great product to travel with is a spray brush cleaner by Bobbi Brown. All you do is lay your brush on a tissue spray the brush and swirl it on the tissue and now its ready to be used!
- VOLUMINOUS HAIR: So you ask how do you get that volume in your hair and get it to stay all day. Well, ladies it is all in the product you use when your hair is wet and how you blow dry it!
- TRICK: Now I have tried every brand and product you can think of from Big Sexy Hair, Aveda, Bumble & Bumble, Bed Head, Fekkai and many more but there is nothing that compares to Kerastase. Kerastase just came out with a new volumizing product called “Forme Fatale” that I use and of course when I do wash my hair which is once a week (yes I said once a week) I use Kerastase shampoo and leave in 30 minute conditioner. Now depending on your hair you will want to find the right Kerastase products for you (they have it all). Also, because I only wash my hair once a week I use a great dry shampoo by Not Your Mothers.
- TRICK: Also, blow drying your hair is definitely an art and will also really help with making your hair voluminous! So get yourself a round brush and a good blowdryer and section your hair to blow it dry from root to end. Trust me this will make a world of difference. Remember, how you dry your hair is how it will go back to when it gets any humidity on it.
- SILKY HAIR: Now that you know how to get voluminous hair now lets make sure it is silky smooth! This goes back to the same thing when applying makeup it is all in the application before and after.
- GREAT NAILS: Ever look down at your nails and think yuck I really need to get my nails done. Well until you can get to a nail salon a quick trick to making them look great is using cuticle oil. Just keep this in your purse and when your standing in line for coffee or stuck in traffic whip this bad boy out and make your nails look great!
- PERFECT LIPS: When I say perfect lips no I am not going to go tell you to get lip injections! 🙂 I am talking about how to get your lipstick to stay on and how to make them look plump without anything abrasive!
- TRICK: Moisturize your lips daily, my favorite lip balm to use is by Kiehls. Also, if you are like me and hate when your lipstick smudges or your boyfriend refuses to kiss you because it will get all over him. Try my new favorite lipstain by Stila. To get a more full lip put your lip liner on from the outer corners of your lips and work your way in. You can also put a little bit more right in the middle under neath your bottom lip.
- SOFT SKIN: So I could tell you that I use some $500 cream all over my body to keep it smooth and silky but then I would be totally lieing. I have found that this is the one time the higher the price is actually not better in quality. Some may swear by Lamar cream but I swear by Eucerin that my grandmother uses. You find it at any grocery or drug store for $15 bucks!
- THICK AND LONG HAIR/NAILS: Well there is a lot you could do but my own really key trick is taking Biotin! I know many believe taking prenatal vitamins are a good way to get your nails and hair to grown nice, long and strong. But let me tell you Biotin is way better! Plus if you are not pregnant you do not want to always be taking prenatal vitamins! 🙂
Ok until next time my fashionistas! Stay styled right! xoxo FSR