Leopard = Classic… Leopard has made a staple in my wardrobe! This fall there are so many options when it comes to adding leopard into your wardrobe. So make it your own and decide how you are going to GO LEOPARD! Shoes, handbag, headband, blouse, leggings, nails etc!
“On a long journey, even a straw weighs heavy”…
Okay, I admit I was totally that woman at the airport with way too many pieces of luggage and on top of that my luggage always weighed over the 50 lb limit. And then I would try the batting of my eyes to say “please its only a few pounds over”, well it usually worked but not always! 🙂 I would be going on vacation for a week but it looked more like I was going for a month. This was my thoughts as I was packing…”well I made need this top and I need these shoes for this dress, and these earrings for this outfit”. My packing would continue like that until my suitcase was so stuffed I would have to get another one out. Eventually, I learned that half of what I packed I never wore and on top of that who wants to look a mess in the airport, I could barely even carry everything! It is never a good look to be struggling to carry your bags, although it may snag you a cute guy to help you but most likely you will just look really unorganized and not put together. And if I am not mistaken as a woman, we should always look put together, organized and of course stylish with little to no effort.
It is not uncommon for women to struggle when packing between wanting to be prepared for every eventuality or fashion whim and needing to actually be able to carry their luggage. Packing is truly a serious game of give or take, while common sense tells you just to pack less, your fashion sense tells you pack everything you may need. I am sure you have thought “come Saturday night I may be yearning for those blue pumps or that black top”. You are now in a fashion and packing dilemma but fear not I am here to rescue you from packing hell!!!! Below will be your packing bible, be ready to take notes because I am going to teach you how to pack smart and chic for any vacation trip! With a little planning a lot of organization you will have created a vacation wardrobe of mix- and-match basics that cover all your needs while even leaving room for those great accessories you cannot leave behind and maybe even one or two special pieces. Packing smart will in-turn allow you to travel in style and that is the whole idea! So here you are ladies: this is how to pack and travel in style…
3 STEPS TO SUCCESSFUL PACKING:
- Do your research: Meaning read the guidebooks and travel sites for your vacation spot, check the weather for your entire stay and call your hotel to see what amenities they have (this may allow you to leave some amenities behind such as a blow-dryer, iron etc.). Doing these three things will help you decide what to bring making packing already that much easier. You should be able to weed out certain items you may have considered taking before.
- Make a list: I know this may sound really tedious and time consuming but trust me when I say, this will help immensely. Make a list, day by day of all your planned activities and even possible activities; such as shopping, horseback riding, sunbathing, dinner, dancing, etc. Then pick out an outfit for each event. This is also great because you will have a record of what you packed, just in-case anything should happen to your luggage.
- Edit your choices: Okay brace yourself this is the hardest part! Once you have decided what you would LIKE to bring, lay everything out and create ensembles; this includes lingerie for each outfit and accessories. Now look at all your outfits and see where you can overlap or where you may have duplicates of something similar. This is where you cut back and limit yourself to one base color, this will force you to mix and match creating outfits maybe you wouldn’t have thought of in-turn you will get more than one wearing out of almost everything you bring (and look your becoming more fashion savvy while packing who would have thought). I consider the chicest woman to be the one who can work a sweater in three or more ways.
- Take precaution with shoes: Chose very wisely, this is where a lot of weight can come in. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT bring a pair of shoes that can only go with one outfit! The only exception is if you are going to a special event such as a wedding other than that, these shoes must stay at home. I know it will be hard but I know you can do it! What you need to bring are a pair of comfortable walking shoes (flats, etc) and something for evening. Try your best to only bring two pairs, definitely no more than three.
- Add color: Since your base is neutral add color through scarves, thin knits, colored belts, statement jewelry and t-shirts. These items will enhance your wardrobe and will take up little space in your suitcase.
- Fashion show TIME: Now that your wardrobe is complete its time for a mini fashion show in your room, check for missing buttons, stains and falling hems.
- Mini toiletries: Prepare a small bag with all miniature bottles of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, moisturizer, etc. This should always be ready for travel, this will save you a lot of time later (fill everything back up when you get home from your trip so you are ready for next time).
- Close all closures: Zip, button, snap all closures on every item to insure each piece lays flat.
- Layer: Pack all your heaviest items first and anything you will need immediately when you get there pack last.
- Wrinkle safe: To insure the least amount of wrinkle, turn your dresses, jackets, and shirts inside out. If you have room stuff your jacket and blouse sleeves with tissue paper and most importantly line everything in plastic before folding. (Also, if you need a quick steaming of your clothes hang them in the bathroom turn on the shower and shut the door!)
- Roll-and-stuff: This is the best way to get the most use out of the space in your suitcase. Small items such as underwear, socks, sleepwear, scarves, t-shirts and anything wrinkle resistant should be rolled and stuffed into the dead spaces in your suitcase (example, inside shoes).
- Pack to the max: Try your best to not leave excess room in your suitcase so chose the appropriate size suitcase for your travel needs. This will keep things from wrinkling and moving around to much while your suitcase gets abused at the airport. 🙂 If you plan to shop stuff an empty duffel bag in your suitcase.
- Weigh it: No more than 50 lbs is your goal! Weighing your bag ahead of time will save you money and time at the airport. A great device is the Digital Luggage Scale, I swear this has become by packing buddy, it has yet to fail me! If your luggage is over weight reevaluate what you packed if there is something you can leave behind do it if not try to reorganize your carry on and swap things around.
- Lock and buckle: Its always a good idea to put a lock on your suitcase just to be safe. Also, to make it easier when you are at baggage claim and ensure no one accidentally takes your bag put a suitcase bright colored strap around it (mine is lime green).
- Preparing for air travel
- Be comfy: DO NOT I repeat DO NOT wear a sweatsuit to the airport I do not care if its Juicy Couture. Lets not fall in the “fashion police” category! I will consider you a “hot mess” for that! Yes, I know I said be comfy however, you still want to look stylish so be comfy but in style! 🙂 Wear something that can be mixed and matched with what you brought, preferably fabrics that are wrinkle resistant and I encourage you to also wear pants not a skirt or dress.
- Wear bulky: If you are traveling somewhere cold wear your jacket, boots, etc these items will be a deal breaker when it comes to weighing your suitcase.
- Flats not heels: Maybe you are a heel girl all the way but please lets make an exception here and wear FLATS! Not only do you look more at ease you actually look more chic, you are wearing the appropriate foot attire for traveling. Nothing is worse than a woman running in heels trying to catch her flight (now you should be early anyways because as a chic woman you are well prepare for your travels but just in-case lets not look a mess in the airport!)
- Carry a shawl: Well thanks to new airline changes, blankets and pillows are no longer provided. So, not only will this keep you warm on the plane it can serve as a mini pillow too!
- Bring little treasures: Airplane cabins are notorious for being dry so to keep yourself looking great pack lip balm, eye drops, bottled water and lotion!
BEST LUGGAGE: Now that you know how to pack in a chic and successful manner it is only right that your luggage is of best quality! I highly recommend Tumi luggage as its considered to be the most durable and functional luggage brands around. They have great packing accessories if you like to be extra organized as well as the option to personalize your luggage too! They have a lifetime guarantee and specialized carry-on bags when traveling out of the country. Check it out here: TUMI LUGGAGE
If my fashionaholic boyfriend can do it so can you, that man can fit a whole months wardrobe in a carry on! Now start packing…
Well I could go on and on about this topic, so I will try to keep it short and focus on one aspect about SHOES!!!! When I think about what makes my outfit complete it always goes back to the shoes. I mean lets be real you can have on the most gorgeous dress, or most well fitted pants with a fabulous structured top but if the shoes are wrong the whole outfit becomes wrong! Shoes can really make or break your outfit. So it is crucial to put time and effort when finding the right shoe for your outfit. You also want to buy a shoe that is versatile where you can get many wears out of it. Personally, I have always been one to spend more money on my shoes than anything else. But I believe expensive shoes are completely justified by price per wear. Its the one item that gets more wear and tear then any other item in your closet. It needs to be well made from good fabrics and structured to perfection.
Its not uncommon for women to have an obsession for shoes, look at Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City. Her outfit may have been ordinary but her shoes, well her shoes they were the outfit!! Now, in her case she did buy shoes just because they were beautiful and eventually she would find some outfit to wear with them. But we do not all have that luxury so I have provided below some basic guidelines to remember when shopping for the perfect pair of shoes to complete your outfit.
Here are 10 guidelines when it comes to buying the perfect shoe:
#1: Shoe must not over power outfit;
- Delicate fabrication, ie. silk dress/pants, flowly = light shoe ie. something with straps, opened toe pump (no platform), bootie only if to works really have to be careful.
- Denim, structured fabrics = chunky shoe (wedge, platform, cage, bootie etc)
#2: Fashion over function; yes sometimes when buying that amazing unqie shoe it may not be the most comfortable shoe in the world. But we all need a few pairs like this.
#3: Most comfortable heels; Prada, Miu Miu, Jimmy Choo, Vince Camuto
#4: Most comfortable flats; Vera Wang, Lanvin. BEWARE of TORY BURCH FLATS (they may look cute but they are the most uncomfortable flat you could ever step into, dont do it!!!)
#5: Do the unexpected; wear the shoe that you wouldn’t expect to go with the outfit but totally works
#6: Shoe must fit properly; if the shoe does not fit DO NOT PURCHASE.
#7: If you can’t ROCK them don’t WEAR them; If you can’t walk in them DO NOT PURCHASE; too many times I see women walking around in the most gorgeous shoes but because they cannot walk correctly in them it runs the shoe.
#8: Buy proper shoe care; if you are going to spend the money on a great pair of shoes make sure you buy the products to keep them looking sharp.
#9: Do not buy just to buy; never buy a pair of shoes just because they are on sale. This goes back to buying in complete outfits, unless it actually goes with a particular outfit do not just buy the shoe because its on sale and you will hopefully it will go with something in your closet. That is a big no no!!
#10: Buy them because YOU love them; do not just buy the trendest shoe just because its in “fashion” buy what fits your lifestyle and is best for the outfit.
Answer: Nicole Richie wore it better. Now they have almost they exact same outfit on but really the main difference is the choice in shoes. Richie’s shoes work better with the outfit, it gives the outfit a pop of color at the bottom (unexpected rule #5), is a heavy shoe for a more structured outfit. Lindsay Lohan wore a strappy shoe which not only uncompliments the outfit but sticks out like a sore thumb. That shoe is more dressy than the outfit has called for thus making the outfit all wrong.
Answer: Victoria Beckham wore it better. Because the dress is not only short but more fitted its better to wear a shoe with more coverage. Even though the difference is minimal it still makes a difference. (its like the saying..”Its the little things that matter” funny how it that even relates to shoes!)
Answer: First I must say, don’t you just love the Herve Leger bandage dress! Wow so many different shoes with the exact same dress, funny how much the shoe can change the look of the dress right! Well I must say Erin Andrew wore it the best. Again, because the dress is short and very structured it calls for a more structured shoe and that has coverage. Her black bootie is the perfect shoe. I also would have considered doing a sparkle nude pump as well (this is not shown but would have been another great option). As for the rest of the women the shoes are horrible. Kristin Cavallari’s shoes not only are more of a daytime shoe but are too clunky for this dress. Cheryl Burke’s shoes cut off her legs (not horrible but not the best). Heather Graham first off needs to learn how to stand in a pair of heals (rule #7 if you cant rock them you shouldn’t be wearing them), and the shoe is way to strappy and open for this dress. Those would be better with a longer flowing dress. And Heidi Montag’s shoes are predictable and boring!
Happy shoe shopping!!
What a tragic day to lose one of the greatest screen actresses of Hollywoods Golden Age and a style icon. She was known for her stunning and timeless look as well as her role in over five dozen film roles which twice she one Academy Awards for Best Actress. Furthermore, not many women can burn through seven husbands, eight marriages, several near death experiences, have four children, ten grandchildren and four great grandchildren while still finding the time to look stunning. She had the ability to turn the simplest garments into sexy, chic and elegant all at the same time. She had style without even trying, this also came from the way she carried herself (with a I do not care what you think attitude). 🙂
A woman after my own heart, her love for jewelry came at an early age. Her thought on personal style was “enough is never enough”, quite the contrary to Coco Chanel who always taught us put everything on and before you walk out the door take one piece off (referring to jewelry). She loved all the glitz and glamour, most of the time you would find her dripping in diamonds and emeralds along side dramatic dresses and elaborate up-dos! Eventually, her love for jewelry turned into what we know now as House of Taylor, alongside her self-aclaimed book “My Love Affair with Jewelry” and how could we forget her perfume, White Diamonds. She gave the word FABULOUS meaning, always dressed for success no matter the time of day or what she was doing. Truth be told this was what she was famous for; don’t get me wrong she was a good actress but she was more famous for her extravagant style.
Remember when I first talked about style and how what you wear shows the world who you are and who you want to be. She wanted to look and feel fabulous so thats how she dressed each day and we all knew it. She said “I never worried about good or bad taste” and she certainly portrayed that through all her wardrobe choices. Even though I do think you can wear to much jewelry, she somehow was able to carry it off in such a chic manner. At the end of the day it is about personal style and what makes you feel good when you put it on. She is almost like a tone downed Lady Gaga when it comes to extravagance with fashion. I will put it to you this way, some women can just pull off anything and she just happens to be one of them. And we are not all actresses, so we do need to dress appropriately for the occasion for which we are attending. Personally, I would still stick to Coco Chanel’s philosophy about accessories! 🙂 However, one thing I do think that she had right was choosing to DRESS TO PLEASE HERSELF, once you do that you are half way to really honing in on your own personal style. This also goes back to being in “fashion” is easy but having style comes from within. So again do not just buy whats trendy just because its the latest trend buy what looks best on you and you feel your best in!
We loved her because she stood out and always made a statement with each outfit showing us her confidence within herself and protruding class at the same time. So what statement are you making with your wardrobe choices?
Ok, can I just say how much I love this color. Cognac, to me is the new best nude color for this spring season. I have always loved green, makeup and true nude as the best blank canvases to go with any outfit but Cognac has all these colors beat! It truly gives an outfit a different element. Its almost as if the color clashes with the outfit however it works effortlessly perfect. There are many different ways to mix this cognac color in your wardrobe; such as a cognac leather jacket, a cognac pair of pants, cognac jewelry, cognac handbag… My favorite is cognac shoes particularly a high heel sandal or flat. Wearing the color this way in your outfit really gives it a unique look. It can turn a evening dress into a day dress just by changing the heels! Going from black to cognac will give it a understated yet fun and playful look. You of course must than accessorize appropriately. 🙂
My favorite Cognac heels, I am so obsessed with these Miu Miu’s!!!
I also love these YSL’s!
Try Cognac in your wardrobe you will love it!!