I am sure at one point or another you have been running late for work and flipping through a ton of outfits feeling nothing looks good so then you always go back to the few pieces you always wear. And I am sure you have been asked out on a date and the first thing that runs through your mind is “what am I going to wear”. It was only last weekend that I was getting ready for a birthday dinner that I began to have the same issue. Yes even personal stylists can have fashion crisis’s! lol (It was then that I realized I was due for another closet clean out). So now the question is how to avoid getting dressed under stress. Being stressed for time and trying to figure out what to wear is the worst. You are frantically trying to put something together but nothing is working so you end up with some mediocre outfit and of course during the day you probably run into your ex or are asked to give a presentation at work at even better asked out on a last minute lunch date. And now all you can think about is how you wish you had something else on. Well lucky for you I have some helpful steps so you too can learn to get dressed without stress!!
STEP 1: Get rid of the dead weight…
- Make 3 piles: Give away, fix and find a match.
- I know many of us do not like to let certain items of clothing go thinking to ourselves “one day I will wear that” or “I do not know what to wear with it but I love it”. First of all we all know the items we say “we will wear one day” never get worn so in that case put that in the give away pile.
- If you just can’t seem to part with a few of the pieces you think you “will wear one day” start doing what I like to call the “REVERSE HANG”. What that means is every time you wear something and put it back in your closet hang it facing the opposite way. Then every six months look at all the items still facing the normal way and those are the items you really need to put in the give away pile.
- Look at your “find a match” pile and create a list of items you need in order to complete those pieces to make an outfit.
- Now that you have completed this step you should already feel a lot lighter. 🙂
STEP 2: Go shopping…
- Pick out only the pieces that you put on your list. This is all you need for now.
- I also have a package for this type of shopping if you are in need of some help. 🙂
STEP 3: Pick out your outfit the night before…
- Do you ever remember doing this as a child the night before the first day of school? I definitely remember how excited I was to wear that outfit the next day and how all I had to do was get ready and put it on. There was no changing 5 or more times and staring at my closet. Thus, this is exactly what you should be doing every night before going to bed… trust me it works!!!
- If you have 2 places to go that day, say work and a girls night out well then lay both outfits out. This will save you so much time in the long run and really help you avoid getting dressed under stress.
Ok, see that wasn’t so hard. Three steps and your now getting dressed with ease! Until next time stay styled right my fabulous fashionistas!! xoxo FSR